Friday, April 29, 2011

Report #2 of Tao Sangha Members visiting Sendai April 3 & 4, 2011

April 3rd, 7:50AM
My wife made Onigiri (rice ball) and miso soup, which warms and heals
my heart. I see a light snow outside.

9:10 AM
I gave the supplies to them and asked what is needed for next step.
I went to center provision for earthquake disaster. I met Mr. Kokuta and I
asked him what do you need now and in the future?
The answer was "rain coats for working on rainy days, under pants and
jerseys, sandals, wet tissue, small radio, umbrella, pouch, day packs,
pajamas, masks, hats, and if possible washing machines would be very
helpful...."
About 700 people are living in
these shelters and mostly people
lost their homes and future and
some people lost their families.
Government has a plan to make a
small house (temporary house) for
victims but nobody knows when,
could be in 1 or 2 years.
This project of making small houses
(temporary houses) for everyone is
going to be a long way in the future
for these people. Washing machines
would be very helpful for everyone
because it's a hard job to wash
clothes by hand outside in cold
winter days. I said we will think
about the washing machines.
10PM Volunteer Shiatsu was is Welcomed
We moved to the next shelter near the first one. Because volunteer
Shiatsu needs permission from the shelter's leader, Mr Kokuta guided and
introduced me to Mr. Tsubouchi to ask about giving volunteer Shiatsu.
Mr. Tsubouchi said with smile, "sounds good, first of all could you give
to me?" and he also said to everyone, "they can massage for us, would
anybody like to receive?" The replies came; "I would like to receive
because my shoulder is so stiff"; "me too”, “me too!!" I and Mr Haku were
so happy to hear this positive response and when we came to lunchtime
we were invited to eat the same lunch with everyone.
                                                            1:05PM
Delivery of album ... Suddenly, somebody said in a bigvoice "thank you thank you!!!!"  It was Mrs. Miura - somebody who was walking around outside found her picture album and delivered it to her.


1:20 PM
We slept on the Tatami
One more happy incident -
everybody was sleeping on the
floor, until someone gave us
60 Tatami mats. Everyone was
so happy. We can sleep on the
the softer tatami flooring
starting tonight.
2:10pm
Mrs. Kaneno Takeko
Shiatsu started again. Mr. Sato joined in to give treatments. We gave
through the afternoon and then by candlelight at night. One patient said
"it was the hell". It seems they are living with so much despair and deep
sadness.
Later Mrs. Kaneno Takeko. A 60 year old woman was asked "do you have a problem anywhere?" she said "both of my hands have numbness"
also she said with a small voice……"the Tsunami attacked my husband, I
pulled my husband with both of my hands, I tried hard, again and
again…... but my hand power ran out and he just slipped away". She has
been keeping in her big tears.

6:40 PM
Most people sleep or lay
down. Only a few people
watch TV or radio. We ate
Onigiri (rice balls) from Mrs
Kazue and left-over
Yakisoba (Japanese style
fried noodle) from lunch.
Mr Haku went home and I
stayed here to write down
today’s experiences.
8:15 PM
In the Dark of the Night
Mr. Kazue passed a small light to me. It was so dark outside that I saw
the sky and falling stars. But people here have no space in their hearts to
enjoy this view of the sky. There must be so many people in this dark
night feeling heartbroken and hopeless……so many…...
11:30 PM
I sent email with my phone but it cannot send well and I felt frustrated
with the phone company. I gave up and went to bed. Then Mrs.
Kaneno’s story came from my memory. She lost her husband……. and
her hands still sensitively remember his feeling at that moment. I
was not able to sleep any more………
April 4th 6:30 AM
I woke up and
walked around. I
did Renki near the
temple, and got
more cheerful. It is
still snowing
outside.
7:50 AM
I ate Onigiri and Miso soup. I packed
my bags to prepare to leave in the
afternoon.
8:30 AM Goodbye
I went to shelter a little early, Mr Miura
said "everybody could sleep very well
thank you so much, it's like you are our
new family member.” I thought I was
happy to give this shiatsu in my life.

Dear Mr Ryokyu, Tao Shiatsu really gave
happiness to everyone.
A lady nearby came to me and asked
about massage. I was ready for Shiatsu
because Renki makes me and my body
ready. Next person was Mrs Kazue. Everybody has a job in here even
older person, because it's a good reason to move the body and keep
healthy. I felt Mrs. Kazue always takes care of herself last. She is just like
a Boddhisatva. Because I have to leave earlier today I decided to give to
her first. I really thank you Mrs. Kazue.
I gave treatments for more people and just a little time was left. I said,
“One more person if you like.. anybody?” Mrs. Kaneno put her hand up. I
was so happy to give shiatsu again for her because she was on my
mind. She said she felt "her condition was very comfortable afterwards" I
imaged god with nembutsu during session. it was a memorable session
for me.
My volunteer shiatsu mission is finished. Mr Haku and Mr. Sato will
continue after me. Mrs Kazue gave me onigiri and banana and water and
said "please eat these in your car while you drive home." I said goodbye
to everyone and went home. I will come back!
I hope everyone's life will be happier.... NamuAmidaButsu.

Report by Shin Hasegawa (Tao Sangha Tokyo)
Translated to English by Satie Fujimoto (Tao Sangha Madison) and Yutaka Toyoda (Tao Sangha Montreal) with English editing by Deb Bachmann (Tao Sangha Madison)

No comments:

Post a Comment